Sunday, October 09, 2005

Australian English 101
[All materials examinable at the end of post]

Ok.. so everyone knows that we aussies *ahem* have a funny way of abbreviating our words. So, we're lazy but hey, we're unique. So here's just a few of the words/phrases you might struggle to understand when talking to a foreigner, like me. [Purpose is to educate you guys before I come back]

G'day mate! - this is a dead giveaway. you should know what this means.
How's it going? - what's up?
Wicked! - awesome, see 'sweet' and 'sick'
I reckon hey. - i think so LAH.
Dodgy! - weird, odd.
wanna scull? - a race to finish beer 1st.
it's friday night! - let's hit the tav, club or pub.
Sweet! -nice one. see 'wicked' and 'sick'
Sick! - some awesome shitt. see 'wicked' and 'sweet'
no worries! - no problem, a reply to 'thanks!'
cheers - a reply also 'thanks' or to end a convo.

mozzies - mosquitoes
brekkie - breakfast
maccas - macdonalds
sunnies - sunglasses
alkies - alchoholics
druggies - drug addicts
lollie - sweets, candy, the works.

I can't think of anymore for now. but if I do, I'll sure add it on. That's all we can cover in our 1st lecture so hopefully you'll understand me when I return. Awesome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home