Thursday, October 19, 2006

i never realise how much moving house would have changed me. sure, its a change of location, out of my comfort zone. no more leaving the house at 10.40am and geleking to uni for 11am class. sure, coming home to a pitch black empty house at night with no one at home to chat to.

moving house for me has led to a change of lifestyle, a change of identity of who i am too. just take for example the amount of entertaining i do now. no longer do i have to consider whether my housemates are sleeping, unwell, studying or have entertainment plans of their own. anyone who wants to pop in, sure, just drop in. wanna crash? yeah, that's fine too. i host cell, and i host gatherings, intimate chill out gatherings.

take it to another level - i find myself become more and more a yuppie. yeah yeah, i don't work so i can't really say i am rolling in the dough and spending it lavishly. for example, the places i hang out. i still love to go to the city, but i take too walking along king street and the little nook and crannys. i use to think dotti was the bomb, but now i find alot of the stuff there..... commercial. maybe also because the current season range is abysmal. but even so, i find myself losing interest, somewhat, in such brands. i use to hang alot arnd the miss shop section @ myers but nowadays, i find myself looking at the high end stuff like wayne cooper, cooper street, basque and stuff. instead of thronging target, i wander for hours on end in david jones.

i remember thinking chilling with friends in the city/subi was awesome, until i discovered i was only a 10min walk from leederville, the yuppie hub. vibrant, trendy, chilled out - all the good things rolled into a coupe of streets. i love the obscurity that surrounds the area. subi isn't too bad but when you compare the two, leeds is like a craig david album, everything's good. you want everything. subi is more like justin timberlake album, a couple of stand outs here and there, but you have to sieve through the various tracks to see what you like and what you wanna chuck out.

i love the obscure labels that leeds has. the little shops stock with designer labels, unheard of brands and individualist pieces they bring in from private designers. i love running through the racks of custom pieces, praying the price is right, the size is right. shops like harry&gretel and atlas never fails to fascinate me. urban records, my new love, sells the obscure nu jazz and jazzanova albums that just makes you wanna kick back your heels ( in my case, thongs) and just chill. i have the overwhelming urge to just whisk the entire collection into my living room, wire it up to a player and spend the entire weekend from thursday evening to sunday night on my couch.

that's the life i am sort of leading. nono, it sounds to idealistic to be true. this of course runs along side the late night muggings at uni and the sleepless nights at home when i am doing my readings. not to mention the ministries i serve in at church and all the church stuff going on. it brings me great joy in helping out people with their stuff, like minh and dons being at my place till almost 1am last night discussin wedding invitation designs, brainstorming, chatting and enjoying minh's mp3 collection on my speakers. and i am so proud to say we have our sample invites, all ready to be printed and done up. it's just so awesome. and amazing how some of my inspiration was drawn from harry&gretel in leeds, which is an upclass boutique which has a shabby chic decor, what donna had in mind for her invites.

moving to west perth has been a major change for me. from just the environment to the people i hang out with to leeds to the music i listen to to the shops i frequent. seems like everything's changed a whole lot. sometimes i am amazed at myself. the amount of obscurity i bring to my life. wow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home