Tuesday, December 28, 2004

I remember distinctly waitin for my partner-in-all-crimes, YOU know who you are, at Keppel gym to arrive when news of the earthquake and tsunami starting trickling to the TV channels. News headlines seem to be flashing everywhere as I skimmed the words appearing across the screen. Call me ignorant, but I truly did not think much abt it after that. Earthquakes happen everyday (if you didn't know). Obviously, I missed out on the Richter 9.0 bit. How convenient it was.

It wasn't till post-Christmas lunch with the lawyers yesterday till I understood the severity of the tsanami and earthquake. It was the hot topic at the table amonng the lawyers. As I read the newspapers before me and watch the news, the extent of the damage is so apparent to me. The monstrocities of Mother Nature has left some areas in South East Asia completely in ruins. The death toll is steadily climbing as more missing people are being accounted for and the mass destruction being summed up in numbers.

My heartfelt condolences to all those who has lost loved ones in this tragic ordeal. Regardless of what I say, I can never truly and absolutely empathize with them. I wasn't shopping in Patong Beach when the 5m high waves crashed upon me and swept me off my feet. No, I wasn't there.

I hope, now, as the world unites, we as citizens of the world, will all play an active role in contributing to this diseaster. The next time you are having a meal, pause and pray for those whose lives have been adversely affected by this uncalled tragedy. Should it be they have lost their loved ones or lost their homes or even they livelihood. Give thanks that despite our close proximity to Indonesia, we remain unaffected. Give thanks for our safety and security, even if it might be short-lived. Put aside some money that is meant for shopping, and donate it to the Red Cross, which will be put in so much of a better use than a new top to go clubbing. Remember to put thoughts to words.

I shan't say more. I pray for all whose lives have changed after Sunday, 26 December 2004. GOD bless everyone. Love you all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home